The continuing saga of one Markus Wolf.
Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Epic Adventures
Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Massage Message

     Sadly, my digital camera has ceased to function.  But I’ve still got lots of pictures to show.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.
     Dorothy said of Oz, “People are always coming and going around here.”  Same goes for YWAM Kyiv.  One by one, the YWAM schools are finishing up their classes.  Four schools are all finishing within a couple of weeks: the communication school, counseling school, discipleship training school, and School of Biblical Studies.  I’ve made significant friendships in each school and I’m continually saying goodbye.  Not fun.
     But some people in my life here aren’t going anywhere very soon.  Like these babies.  It’s been exciting working with the little fellas this week with all the new things we learned from the American nurses last weekend.  Let me tell you about little Oleg.  (pictured above… oh and below too)
     Oleg has a pretty bad case of asthma.  I’m not sure what other reasons he might be in the hospital, but I often hear him heaving, trying to breathe.  Off the top of my head I’d place Oleg around a year and a half, but I didn’t really pay attention.  He’s a pretty big boy and it’s hard to tell with orphans.  They don’t usually get the nutrition they need and tend to be undersized.  But not always.
     Oleg has been in the hospital for about two months.  And funny things happen to your body when you lay in a hospital bed for extended amounts of time.  In Oleg’s case, he tends to keep his arms at his side, not stretching them out.  No reason to.  But muscles that aren’t used are muscles that shrink, and he was losing mobility.
     My first mission in arriving at the hospital is to get Oleg to stretch those arms without hurting him.  It doesn’t take much and it’s better all the time.  You just rub his arms down from the shoulder while gradually pushing his arm down into a straightened position.  It’s just a case of relaxing some muscles and stretching others.  
     The other thing with Oleg is his breathing.  I’ll prop him up against me, cup my hand slightly, and gently thud on his back to loosen up the stuff in his lungs.  He’s a great little kid and really ticklish.  So if I barely squeeze his little thigh or rub his neck, he’ll squeal and coo.  Moochie Moochie.  He loves all the personal attention and I turn it into a game instead of a “medical treatment.”
     Last Friday I was happy to see that he was reaching out for me to pick him up.  His arms were almost fully stretched out and a big smile was on his face.  The daily Mother’s Care visits are really paying off.
     And before I forget, some people were interested in knowing how they could help Marina, that little girl I mentioned last week.  If you’d like to help out with her medical costs, you could send the check to:

Mothers Care
PO Box 513,
Crystal River, FL 34423  

The check should be made out to "Mother's Care" and is tax deductible.  (501c3 in America)  Email Rebecca at  mothers_care@hotmail.com and tell her that you gave specifically for Marina’s medical expenses.

I guess I’ve talked plenty so I’ll close it off for the day.  Thanks for your continued prayer.


Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Click for Kyiv, Ukraine Forecast