The continuing saga of one Markus Wolf.
Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Epic Adventures
Monday, November 13, 2006

Oz and Ends

Remember when the Lion in the Wizard of Oz sang, “If I were King of the Forest”? That song has come into my mind when I’ve faced situations that I was unable to do anything about. Often that comes with cultural issues or decisions I wouldn’t have made. But as of this week, I have a bit more forest to run. Or at least three trees and a clearing.
So here’s the big news. I’ve been asked to take on the role of ministry leader for Key of Hope. As far as I understand, this means that I’ll be in charge of the direction of the ministry and decisions on how we do things. I’ll be leading the week by week vision. I’m also working on ways to disciple the staff, making sure everyone is growing spiritually and exercising their gifts and vision.
I’ve agreed to take on this position for a year and then see what happens. In other jobs, promotion means bigger salary. In my world, promotion simply means more responsibilities. The reward is being able to steer the ship. That’s fine for me. I work for Jesus anyway. Corporate America is so far from where I live. Unless you count McDonald’s down the street which is affectionately known as the other American Embassy.
I hope in reading this, you don’t think, “Wow, in charge of all of Key of Hope ministry. That’s huge!” But there is, as of today, around eight and a half people on our team. (The half person because they’re with us part time, silly) As well, two of the staff are out of the country and two will be leaving for a while in December. So it’s not a very large kingdom, but then I’m only comfortable with a tiny one.
That leads me to another parallel between YWAM and Oz. Somewhere in the movie version, Dorothy said, “My! People come and go so quickly here!” Hmm, Dorothy said that just before leaving Munchkin land herself. Rascally ole Dorothy. There is a natural revolving door to training centers, where students are equipped to be sent out. That comes as no surprise.
I want to see more stability among staff. I’m praying for a long haul mentality for the Key of Hope team where possible. I think if you have a strong support structure and people feel good about what they’re accomplishing, they’re less likely to look for something else. People need… well, I need to feel like I’m making a difference. And we need to feel like we’re growing spiritually.
So the simple time when I was just carving a little ministry schedule for myself is now over. I sometimes walk by myself at night and say, “God, I just want to change the world. Is that too much to ask?” And of course it is, I know that. So pray for me. If I’m going to follow this road, I’ll need courage, love, and brains.


Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey!
First of all, just wanted to say that you don't me :) but a friend of mine gave me the link to your blog and said that I might recognize some familiar faces... And I sure did! I know that little cute boy Oleg! So are you involved with orphanage ministry?  

Blogger Markus said...
Hi Veronica. Yeah, orphans are my heart and soul these days. Oleg is certainly an important part of my life and I'm glad to hear he has more friends. Email me, captaincrouton(at)hotmail.com  

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Click for Kyiv, Ukraine Forecast