The continuing saga of one Markus Wolf.
Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Epic Adventures
Monday, January 15, 2007

Apartment Wars Part I

Here’s something else you can pray for in Ukraine. Business Ethics. It’s a big problem here. I have friends whose entire ministry is teaching godly business principles. It’s a big need because it’s a problem even in the church.
Today’s adventure tells of my most dramatic foray to date against sketchy business practices in Ukraine. My landlord wanted us to pay an additional $180 rent. I told her that even if I loved the apartment, I couldn’t afford that kind of rent. This is a longer story, so I'll tell it in two parts.
It was just a bad apartment. Exhibit A: A Pull Chain Toilet. The principle works like a water tower. When you pull the chain, gravity pulls down the water and flushes the toilet. Kind of cool in a science class kind of way, but it’s bulky and monstrous and technology you only (should) find in the villages now.
Exhibit B: The Radio. There is a monster radio on the wall. Wish I’d taken a picture of it now. The funny feature about the radio is that it had volume control but no way to change the channel. Know why? It’s left over from the Soviet Union era when they didn’t want you to have access to any information except the Communist Propaganda.
Exhibit C: Winter Air Conditioning. I’m not kidding. Last winter, the place was so drafty, we used the kitchen as a walk in freezer. The fridge/freezer broke but it didn’t matter. I just put the stuff on the window sill and kept it frozen there. I had to move my mattress to the center room, close the doors at night, to keep the one room warm with a space heater.
Exhibit D: The phone. Didn’t work for four months. Four months?!?! We finally had it fixed ourselves.
When I told the landlady I wasn’t interested in the apartment at the price she wanted, she said we had about three weeks to get out. I made arrangements to stay in another friends’ apartment from that day until the end of the year.
The next morning she called to say we had until next week to leave. Then that afternoon she called and said we had to leave by Saturday. It was Tuesday.
What was I supposed to do? I was leaving in two days to the orphanage in Komarnikva with the dental truck ministry. Then I’d be home one day to then leave for Uzhgorod for Christmas with the orphans there on another trip. That would give me two and a half interrupted days to pack up my belongings, and find a place to stay. I told her that she originally gave me until the end of the month and I would get out as soon as I could. But with my schedule, it was impossible.
She told us that if we weren’t out on Saturday, she would call the police on us. There was nothing we could do since our contract had expired. I checked and it was true. I had never been threatened with police action before. Merry Christmas.
I was so angry with her. Three times within twenty four hours she changed on us and could do it again. We had been good renters, always paid on time. We were patient when the phone didn’t work and paid to fix it ourselves. But when we wouldn’t give the inflated rent she wanted, she turned into somebody else.
I don’t have any reason to believe the lady was a Christian. I don’t know her heart. I saw fruit of another lifestyle. But as followers of Jesus, we have a responsibility. We teach and believe in integrity and honesty and righteousness. But does that come through at work, when we do our taxes, when we wait in traffic?
In this country, there’s continuous pressure to pay bribes to get things done. One orphanage wanted “under the table” money for us to keep working with the kids there. A traffic ticket can be avoided with a little bonus for the police.
No matter where you live, sometimes it’s convenient to “supplement” a little of the truth to avoid conflict or to improve a story. We’re tempted to take office supplies that wouldn’t be noticed at work. But for the convenience, we surrender a piece of our conscience. We give a piece of ourselves for postage stamps.
Genuine faith washes over into our wallets and our relationships and our conversations. The truth we believe must be the truth that we live because there’s no price for going to bed with a clear conscience.
I'm not homeless, but the next part of the story is fun enough to save for next time. Check back soon for Part 2.


Blogger Polka Dotted Pickles said...
Suspense...lovely. :)
I think integrity despite circumstances is the best witness there is!  

Blogger Tonya said...
A sad story, Markus. The story of our life - those of us who were born in Soviet Union knew even worse. I know it's hard and on behalf of my country I apologize for the terrible living conditions you have to endure and even more terrible business ethics. Be encouraged. Don't give up. Most Ukrainians have given up. It's easier for us to give away pieces of conscience unfortunately. The question is, how does one fight bureaucracy and stay sane? And not get sucked in? And continue showing Christlike character? And not become bitter? And win?  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi,
I hope you don't mind me reading your blog, but am hoping to come and volunteer for Mother's Care in March :o)
Anyway I'm Gabi...thanks for writing this blog, it touches my heart!  

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Click for Kyiv, Ukraine Forecast