The continuing saga of one Markus Wolf.
Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Epic Adventures
Monday, November 21, 2005

Puppets and the English Language

It’s been a while since I’ve blogged.  Among other things, in the last week I've gone to my first Ukrainian ballet, (It costs one dollar for the cheap seats, and I like them better than the others because you can watch what's happening in the orchestra pit), started Russian lessons, checked out a new church, (still like Hillsong best) visited the orphanage once, spoke at a high school English class twice, led worship twice, and invented the Ukrainian burrito.  All newsworthy but who has time.
The highlight this week was definitely English class.  It’s good to know that once in a while my English is a blessing and not a handicap.  One of the staff members started bringing English speakers to a school that specializes in teaching English.  He asked if there was anything peculiar about me that I could share with Ukrainian children.  Peculiar?  Me?         
     I did tell a little about the Great Lakes area, and my family heritage, and my nephew Isaiah.  But then I got out the puppets.  Okay, all my former puppeteers together can say, “I can do all things… through Christ who strengthens me.”  Happy puppet memories revisited.  Victor was concerned about bringing puppets to a high school class, thinking I was going to do a kiddie show.
     I pretty much showed how to do different voices to fit the different puppets.  I talked a bit about different kinds of puppets, and showed how to do basic movements, and then I had some of the students give it a try.  Nobody really wanted to volunteer until I volunteered someone myself.  Then they didn’t want to give the puppets up.  
     The teacher was so excited about the puppets, she asked Victor and I about four or five times if we could come back.  She was a funny little grandma, very energetic and lovable.  Then at the end as if to to seal the deal, she had me sit in a chair and had the students tell me individually in English how much they appreciated what I did.
     The teacher brought us to the principal’s office to show her what I’d brought, and then I guess to her favorite fellow teachers.  I had such a good time.  Victor explained that while I couldn’t bring the gospel to the students, of course I could answer any questions they had and explain why I do puppetry in the first place.  I was able to talk about orphan ministry, and being a children’s pastor and what those things mean to me.  So there was no “hard core” ministry, but lots of relationship building and certainly showing “another facet” of Christianity.
     There’s a thousand good ways to minister to people here.  People invite me to help in all sorts of things, but like Gary Glaske told me, I have to really pray about what God wants me to do and be involved with.  I can see how easily I could become a “crispy critter” if I take every ministry opportunity that crosses my path.


Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Click for Kyiv, Ukraine Forecast