The continuing saga of one Markus Wolf.
Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Epic Adventures
Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Mind the Gap

Several years ago, I saw a sign in the metro (subway) in Hong Kong.  The sign said, “Mind the Gap.”  It took me a second of processing to understand what it meant.  I recently learned what would happen if the gap was left…hmm… unminded.  
     The Metro was crowded this past Wednesday.  It was the 8:30 a.m. rush hour.  I was alone but armed with directions to the Abalone Hospital to visit the babies.  Most of the ministry team was in meetings.
     People aren’t friendly in public transportation systems,  When the Metro stops, people push and shove their way on and off.  I’m not the aggressive sort.  Besides, I’d given myself an extra half hour to find the route since I was alone for the first time.  I waited for the third Metro to pass before deciding I better just squeeze in.  It’s easy. You step inside, and the four people entering behind you will smash you further in.  It’s quite... cozy.
     The problem came at the stop in Arsenala.  Seemed I wanted to stay on while everyone else wanted off.  When the doors opened, I fought a losing battle to stay on the Metro.  The next thing I knew I was falling, not stumbling, but falling vertically.  My right leg had gone down the shaft between the train and the station platform.  I was submerged almost to my hip and a bit amount of skin had been ripped off my lower leg.  Worst of all, I was stuck.
     Before I could remember the Russian word for “help,” I was grabbed by the shoulders by someone (really several people) and hoisted back on the station platform.  I never saw their faces though.       I jumped back on the Metro before the doors shut and continued my journey.  The experience was weird, but it happened too quickly for me to be afraid.  My leg didn’t feel great, but I decided to wait until I was at the hospital to check it out.     “Oh, Markus,” I was told afterwards, “With all those people in a hurry, they would’ve never seen you.  If that Metro had moved even slightly, you wouldn’t be standing here.  You definitely wouldn’t have a leg, and I don’t think the ambulance would’ve made it to you on time.”
     I really want to believe that the Metro conductor would’ve been paying attention, and I would’ve been fine.   Still, I’ve never spent so much time specifically thanking God for my right leg.


Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Markus! I was delighted to find your blog and I look forward to hearing more. It's always interesting to hear "Metro Stories" - I know what that's like!

I couldn't find contact info, so I'm here to answer your questions about the zodiac sign in your profile. I think all you need to do is remove your birthday info from Blogger. Check my post here and my comment after it.  

Blogger Markus said...
Wow, three comments. A record for me.

John, your blog link doesn't work. I also find it inquistive.

Kathleen, thanks for your prayers. Fortunately, this sort of thing is rare enough to write about. Although I did get bit by a dog on the same dog, six days later.

Jim, thanks for the help with the astrology sign. Took care of it immediately. But now how are you going to know when to send me a gift? :O) I'm going to send a suggestion to Blogger to make this sign thing optional. So odd that it wouldn't be.  

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Click for Kyiv, Ukraine Forecast