The continuing saga of one Markus Wolf.
Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Epic Adventures
Sunday, January 28, 2007

Apartment Hunt Part 2: Fine Dining

This is Part Two from the apartment story I told last week. I grew up with the value that you eat everything off your plate, no wasting. This idea was challenged through some unusual food experiences.

While I was finding a new apartment, my friends the Colkers made arrangements for me to stay at a house with some Ukrainian grandparents. The downside was that I had to cut an hour at the beginning and end of every day for travel time. But it made for some unique dining experiences.

Mama Vera enjoys cooking. She's from the village, what I'd like to call the Acts 10:13 School of Cuisine. "Rise Peter, kill and eat." She didn't like my quick banana or yogurt breakfasts. Food needs to be hot and there needs to be lots of it. One morning as I was walking out the door, she called down the stairs, "Markoos, nuzhna kooschit." (Markus, you need to eat) In her hand was a plate with three eggs and five sausages. On the table, tea and bread was laid out. How could I leave it when she already made all that preparation? I had been worried about being late, but Mama Vera guaranteed it.

Some meals weren't part of the normal American diet. In her family you can expect soup at every meal, breakfast included. To Mama Vera's delight, I ate what I was served. The weirdest breakfast she served me pasta with "chicken belly buttons." (chicken livers???) I think I impressed the family that I ate it... Is impressed the right word?

But the ultimate Mama Vera meal was on Christmas Day. She set before me what looked like a bowl of ice with like pieces of meat in it. Frozen soup? "Yazik..." she said, and looked at me. "Yazik" means "language," and at first I thought she wanted the english word for this dish.

"Ya nye znayoo" (I don't know) I told her and then remembered: "Yazik" also means "tongue." She wasn’t asking me a question. She was serving me tongue! Upon closer inspection, it wasn't frozen water but clear jello.

For the geeks among you, (I know I'm one) here's the science, when you boil bone or cartilage, the end result is this gelatinous substance. It's true, this is how jello is made. Of course ours is mixed with sugar and other things.

Next to the bowl o' tongue, was a beautiful white cake decorated with madarins and kiwis. Three year old Bianca was sitting next to me. She pointed and indicated what she wanted. Not the cake, but the tongue. That can only be a cultural phenomenon. (She ate my portion)

And so God prepared for me not just a temporary place to live, but a never ending supply of exotic foods during my stay. That means yet another chapter.


Anonymous Anonymous said...
Great update! Keep up the good work. I'm rooting for you!  

Blogger Calyn said...
Wow, Markus. You deserve a medal. I couldn't even down sala. Tongue would take a miracle. :0)  

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Click for Kyiv, Ukraine Forecast