The continuing saga of one Markus Wolf.
Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Epic Adventures
Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Here's to You, Dad!

     This is the message I don’t want to write.  I know many of my friends and family already know about this, but if I’m your link to what’s happening here, you might not.  On Sunday, my dad, Fritz Wolf, went to be home with Jesus.  I’m not happy about it, but I see the hand of God in the midst of it.
     I’ve been home in the States since Tuesday and I’m staying at my parents’ house.  My house is being rented out, but I probably would’ve stayed here anyway.  Isaiah’s here and my sister, and this is where everyone hangs out.  Instead of bringing home the obligatory souvenirs, I decided to do something different.  
     I hosted a “Taste of Ukraine” party for my family on Saturday.  I had brought back a bunch of foods not available in America (that I know of).  Things like mushroom flavored potato chips, banana tea, and a drink they call “the Ukrainian Coca-Cola” which is not like Coke in any way.  I made a batch of cabbage soup in the crock pot (how I’ve missed you, Friend Crockpot).  Then I invited my immediate family, and a few close friends, to come and enjoy, or at least experience.  
     My family was all together on Saturday.  Sunday morning, I would see my friends at church and I was quite excited.  We were going to take my parents out for their 40th anniversary after church.
     But on Sunday morning, I was up at 6 a.m. (not unusual for me) and I went in the family room to check my email.  There I found my dad, face down on the floor on his knees.  I ran to him, and shook him, calling his name, hoping against hope that he was asleep.  I quickly woke up my sister who called 911.  But my dad was gone.  None of us expected it.
     Apparently, he had a massive heart attack and we were told that he was gone before he hit the ground.  The medics told us that it happened at least two hours earlier, maybe four.
     But I can see the hand of God in many ways surrounding this situation.  First, I was home.  I got to spend several days with my dad before he left.  I sure would have focused more of my time specifically on him if I’d known.  But it was treasured time.  I took pleasure in every minute since I hadn’t seen my family in 5 months and expected not to be gone in two weeks.  
     Second, because of the “Taste of Ukraine” party, my dad was with his whole family on the last day of his life.  And he was eating, which he loves.  I showed him pictures of my trip, and he hounded me about bringing a nice girl home.  It was regular Fritz Wolf stuff.  
     Third, my sister has recently been working on a family history for one of her college classes.  She was the last person to speak to my dad.  They spoke late into the night about where we came from, and she even made recordings of their interview.  This is information that would’ve been lost but is now cherished.
     Coincidence?  Dismissed as lightning?  How can I not see that God is with us?   And if He was faithful in these things, He will help us work through the mess of all these future arrangements and questions about why, and what to do next.
     In all honesty, this situation stinks.  It’s a bad deal.  I don’t get it, and I’m not sure I’m willing to get it just yet.  But God is good, always, and I’m so glad that He’s in charge.


Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Mark. I called Bethel Park just this week because I heard there was a loss in the Wolf family. Henry and Irene Hobrath told me they had heard but they weren't sure who. I am so very sorry for your loss, Mark. I hope that you will find great comfort in the memories of happiness and love you shared with your Dad. I will be praying for you and for all of your family!

Love in Christ,
-Jen (Turner) Cassidy  

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Click for Kyiv, Ukraine Forecast